1. What would happen to a bar magnet, in regards to the poles, if you were to break it in half?
a) alternating current
b) direct current (current from car battery)
c) direct current (need to match the current in the battery)
-Transverse waves always are perpendicular to the direction of propagation. They are associated with the property of cutting forces in the propagation medium.2 dimensional transverse wave exhibit the phenomena of polarization. Examples of transverse wave is seismic secondary wave and electromagnetic wave-Longitudinal waves always have the same direction of vibrating as the direction of propagation. They are also named as compressional waves in mechanics.example of longitudinal waves are sound waves and pressure waves.
6) Give an example of a type of wave that can travel through empty space. What is an example of a wave that requires a medium to move through?
An example of first type of wave is the electromagnetic wave (or light). An example of the second type of wave is the sound.
8) Find the number of neutrons and protons in each of the following nuclei:
a) Li, Z= 3 protons, Z-A=3 neutrons
b) C, 6 protons, 7 neutrons
c) P, 15 protons, 16 neutrons
9) If a radioactive substance’s half-life is 64 days, how much is left after 128 days?
After 64 days there will be only half of its initial mass. This means that after another 64 days (128 days in total) there will be only ¼ (one quarter) of its initial mass.
10. Describe how electrons, protons, and neutrons are structured within an atom. What are the charges of each?
Electrons are negative, protons are positive and neutrons are neutral. The protons and neutrons are bonded togheter by the strong and weak nuclear forces forming together the nucleus of the atom. A region of space less than 1-0.1% of the entire atom. The electrons are grouped together outside the nucleus in the remaining space of the atom forming the so called shells. Every electron shell has a certain unchanged level of energy.